Canvas bags are great because not only are they multi-purpose but they are also strong and sturdy. These bags are great for going to the beach, taking for picnics and as a baby bag because of their big storage capacity. With the current green initiatives taken by a lot of environmental groups, canvas bags are slowly replacing the common plastic or paper grocery bag. Also, these kinds of bags are easily washable and breathable so they are hygienic and rarely give off a bad odor.
Making a canvas bag is quite easy, and below are the steps on how to make a sturdy, reliable canvas bag.
- You’ll need the following items:
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Fabric pencil
- Matching or contrasting thread
- Know the purpose of your canvas bag. The first step is to realize for what purpose you’ll be using your canvas bag. You’ll be choosing the kind of canvas that will make up your bag’s body so you need to match it with the purpose. Beach totes will look great with bright colors or lively patterns on the canvas. If you intend to match it to your clothes, you need to pick a color or pattern that goes well with your wardrobe. A grocery tote bag will require more muted earth tones. Baby bags will look adorable with cute patterns.
- Prep your bag. Relatively easy to sew, a canvas bag is usually completed during the preparation. Take your fabric pencil and draw a square on the canvas, this will be the dimensions and size of your canvas bag. Cut out the squares that will make up the bag and then turn it inside out. Pin the bag so that it will be straight as you sew the bag together.
- Sew it up. Making sure it all lines up, stitch together using a 3/8-inch seam with close stitches will make sure the bag is strong. Use your sewing machine to stitch the sides and the bottom, leaving the top open. You need to hem the top of the bag so that the bag won’t unravel.
- Stitch in handles and other embellishments. Once you’ve sewn up the basic body of your canvas bag and hemmed the top half, you can stitch in the handles. Attach the handles using diagonal lines crisscrossing one another so that the handle is strong enough to support whatever you’ll be putting in the bag. You can gussy up your canvas bag by creating a design on it using fabric paint, decorative piping, iron-on designs, embroidery or other such things that can help you personalize your canvas bag. If you want to add in designs or patches on your canvas bag, make sure that you stitch them on the outside of the canvas before you stitch the canvas together otherwise you’ll have a difficult time sewing on the patterns after you’ve sewn up the bag.
Making a canvas bag can also become a good source of income if you can produce a good number of fancy, fashionable canvas bags to sell to customers and friends.